Nearly 200 young musicians from the Foundation and wider community took part in the 2022 Loughborough Music Competitions. The six separate competitions each featured three age groups, where winners and highly commended awards were chosen by a panel of distinguished adjudicators. The highest places gained by Foundation pupils then competed on Friday 11 February for the Junior Musician and Young Musician of the year award.
The competition was attended by the following adjudicators:
- Brass – Morgan Griffiths, international euphonium player and Senior Lecturer at Leeds Conservatoire of Music. Winner of five European Championships, three British Open titles, three All England Masters Championships, a single English Nationals win and several Yorkshire area championships. He also won two soloist awards at the Brass in Concert Championships.
- Piano – Nigel Clayton, Professor of Piano and Collaborative Piano, Royal College of Music, London. He is a sought-after soloist, chamber musician and accompanist who has performed worldwide
- Strings – Alex Laing, a violinist, conductor, educator and writer who currently holds the post of Artistic Director at the King’s High School in Warwick. He graduated from Cambridge University and Birmingham Conservatoire. He works as a conductor with the Benedetti Foundation and also with NCO as well as founding and directing the Darwin Ensemble Chamber Orchestra.
- Percussion – Matt McDonough has an extensive career performing and recording around the world, including for the Disney organisation. He also records for television, music artists and gaming sites, and composes pieces for exam boards. He is also a full-time music teacher at City of London School.
- Singing – Giles Turner is a singer and conductor; he is Director of Music for the Stamford Endowed Schools, Musical Director of Kingfisher Chorale, Director of Cantate Nuovo and Conductor of Burleigh Opera.
- Woodwind – Gerard McChrystal, a global performer in over 30 countries who has performed with the Philarmonia, the San Fransisco Ballet Orchestra, BBC Concert Orchestra and the RTE Concert Orchestra.
The Grand Finals
On Friday 11 February, the music dept held the finals for the Junior and Senior Solo Music Competitions. The winners from the previous weekend of competitions all performed to our guest adjudicator Mr. Quentin Thomas (Director of Music at Oundle School).
The six juniors were first to perform. With confident performances from all the musicians, Mr Thomas gave some detailed feedback and it was announced that pianist Anuron in Year 6 (LGS) was the winner of the Junior Music Cup 2022.
After a short break, the eleven seniors took to the stage, each giving the performance of their lives. The standard was superb and after some careful deliberating, three highly commended awards were given to trumpeter Patrick (LGS Year 11); pianist Ayeka (LAS Year 11); violinist Yla (LHS Year 12) – before announcing the overall winner of Musician of the Year: LGS Year 11 flautist, Joseph.
The whole evening was a wonderful showcase of the excellent standard of music on offer at LSF. Look out for the performances over the coming weeks on the Loughborough Schools Music YouTube channel.